Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Food Pantry in Highland, IL

This is the letter I wrote to the director of the food pantry today.

To whom it may concern,



This woman was so extremely rude to me when I went in to the Food Pantry today. She began by telling me that my income is too high. I proceeded to tell her that yes, it seems like I make a lot, but I don't get to keep it. I'm currently paying off 10,000+ dollars in debt, and I'm about to file for bankruptcy. My husband doesn't work because he has a mental illness. She told me that my husband should get a job, and it's my fault for having all of the debt because I bought the items. She then said that she's there to help people that really need the help, and asked me if I was OK with taking food that other people really need. This woman does not know me, and does not know my situation. Numbers written on a piece of paper do not tell an accurate story of someone's life. If I didn't need the food, I wouldn't have been there. I'm not just going in there to get some free food for the hell of it, and I don't appreciate the insinuations that this woman made. When the bankruptcy was done, I hadn't planned on continuing to go there. I appreciate the items that the Food Pantry has given me, but now I would rather starve then go back there.



Your volunteers need to realize that they are no better than anyone else, and should stop treating people like they are.



~Angela Benton

No comments: