Sunday, June 22, 2008

How to change the WebClip icons on your iPhone

The fact that some of my favorite mobile sites (*cough* Plurk *cough) have yet to implement a webapp icon for use on the iPhone was really starting to upset me. A mini-screenshot just wasn't cutting it for me anymore. So, I decided to figure out how to change it.

Photobucket

BTW: this tutorial assumes that you have a jailbroken iPhone and know how to use WinSCP or something similar.

1. Connect to your iPhone via WinSCP

2. Navigate to /private/var/mobile/Library/WebClips/

3. Find the WebClip icon that you want to change. They don't make this very easy. The only way to do it is to open each folder and open the icon.png file.

4. Create the icon that you want to use and name it icon.png. You can do this however you would like, just make sure it's 57X57 pixels. For my Plurk icon, I just resized their current favicon. Those with Photoshop skills could come up with something way better, I'm sure.

5. Overwrite your icon.png with the one on the iPhone.

6. Restart your Springboard. If you have Customize installed, you can do it from in there. Otherwise, I think you'll just have to restart your phone.

And that should be it! Have fun!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

omg, i shouldve googled this years ago!! thanks